Grab the children and run for the hills as Fox Home Entertainment has announced the Vikings Season 2 Blu-ray and DVD release date is set for October 7.
History’s Vikings, an original series, has been a success story for the cable network. The show centers around family man viking Ragnar (Travis Fimmel) and his thirst to explore and conquer new lands. The series averaged over 3 million viewings in its 10/9c time slot on Thursday nights and has already been renewed for Season 3.
The Blu-ray edition of Vikings Season 2 will include all 10 episodes in their unrated form. A total of 16 hours worth of content is exclusive to Blu-ray including alternate and extended scenes.
Vikings Season 2 Blu-ray exclusive extras
- 10 Unrated episodes that include extended and alternate scenes
- The Viking Sagas – An Interactive Archival Exploration of the Viking Sagas. Use the BD remote to select an icon within the Sagas to hear a detailed deconstruction told by Viking historians.
- A Warrior Society: Rites of Passage – Viking Historians unravel more fascinating mysteries of the Viking culture delving deeper into their rich history revealing the real world practices of the Viking people. Topics for exploration include: Viking Birthing Rituals, the significance of a young man receiving an armring, and the preparation undertaken before a young man or shieldmaiden’s first battle.
- My Family, My Enemy – Creator Michael Hirst details the story arcs of season two and how compelling stories from history influenced the script, with further insights from the cast members and their roles in this season.
- Imagining and Executing Climactic Battles – A behind the scenes exploration into every aspect of planning and execution of the key battle sequences, before intricately deconstructing every stage of preparation for the climactic VIKING battles in season 2.
- Audio Commentary on “Blood Eagle” featuring Michael Hirst and Gustaf Skarsgard (EXTENDED)
- Audio Commentary on “The Lord’s Prayer” featuring Michael Hirst and Gustaf Skarsgard (EXTENDED)
Blu-ray and DVD shared extras
- My Family, My Enemy
- A Warrior Society: Rites of Passage
- Imagining and Executing Climactic Battles
Source: The HD Room
‘Vikings’ postmortem: Creator Michael Hirst on [spoiler’s] death, season three, and Ragnar’s new role
By Andrea Towers on May 2, 2014
Image Credit: History
SPOILER ALERT: If you haven’t seen Thursday night’s season finale of Vikings, “The Lord’s Prayer,” stop reading now and come back when you’ve done so. Those of you who already know what went down in the final hour of History’s epic series, come join me in your pain and sorrow…
What a ride. Those are the exact words I used when I spoke to creator and executive producer Michael Hirst, having had the opportunity to preview the finale ahead of time, but I think they ring true for all Vikings fans right now. The final episode of season two was both intense and emotional — King Horik [Donal Logue] finally got what was coming, there were some surprising lines drawn in terms of loyalty, and just where does that put everything as we head into season three? EW spoke with Hirst to find out exactly that, and to get his take on the season as a whole. Read on for more — although we may not return to Vikings-land until 2015, we can already promise you it will be worth the wait.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: First of all, let me congratulate you on an amazing run of episodes. Retrospectively, how do you feel about this season as a whole?
MICHAEL HIRST: I have to say, I felt good about it from the start because I had these established characters and I had some fairly worked-out ideas about where I was going to take them. As a production, you feel that the first season there’s always something…you’re finding your way and you’re trying out things, but the second season, we went into it with a lot more confidence. We had three boats in the first season, we had eight boats in the second, and so on. So it did feel like a much bigger show, but I felt as well that the actors and their storylines were all interesting.